Aula Magna

Premio Solinas

Features

  • Capacity*: 180 seats
  • Multimedia equipment: workstation equipped for live streaming (on request)
  • Aula Magna is accessible on the first floor with an elevator

Historical overview 
The decoration of the Aula Magna was carried out by Mario Delitala, a painter with considerable experience in decorating public, civil, and religious buildings. Delitala won the competition in 1926 to decorate the Aula. In 1928, he signed the contract and began his work, completing it in 1930. The paintings depict events related to the history of the University of Sassari and follow the rounded shape of the windows, for a carefully studied formal coherence.

In the first painting, The school of anatomy of the Municipality of Sassari, the closed and dimly lit environment of the anatomy classroom pays homage to Tintoretto and his use of chiaroscuro contrasts. The light opposing the shadows enhances the material and highlights the masterful orchestration of colors.

The second painting, located on the wall at the back of the Aula Magna, is titled The founder of the first study college and represents the culminating moment when Fontana, seated at the right of a table with four other characters - a Jesuit executor on the left - explains his wishes. The artist's ability to juxtapose and contrast colors is evident: from yellow to azure, from purple to various shades of red.

The anatomy school of the Municipality of Sassari The third painting, The Municipality of Sassari obtains the "Carta Real" from the Royal Chancellery of Madrid, describes the next stage in the history of the University: in 1632, the college founded by Fontana was transformed into a "Studio Generale," officially recognizing academic degrees in philosophy and theology and the regal status of the University. Delitala creates a deep spatiality in this canvas, clearly influenced by Veronese, through an architectural framework that acquires a monumental rhythm in the balustraded staircase, featuring the two main characters at the bottom, flanked by two others executing a solemn and decisive act for the University of Sassari. The chromatic effects from the Venetian 16th century tradition highlight the large brushstrokes contrasting the colors, creating a rich orchestration with effects of great luminosity.

Under the largest canvas in the room, there is an imposing chair as part of the project, inspired by other large halls like those in Perugia and Padua. The entire room is adorned with simple stucco decorations; Delitala also designed ornamental motifs and supports between the pillars where he later inserted roundels representing the faces of illustrious characters and scholars who contributed to the university's fame. The ceiling decoration consists of an allegorical painting depicting two male and two female figures, nude and sculptural, representing the allegory of the four faculties present in the University of Sassari at that time: Law, Veterinary, Medicine, and Pharmacy. The colors of the ribbons, blue, green, red, and lilac, flowing from the characters' arms, identifying each faculty, wrapping around the emblem. The door was also designed by Delitala with pilasters, lintel, and tympanum in stucco and panels in marble with the names of those who died in the Great War 1915-1918 engraved.

*The capacity of the spaces refers to the maximum authorized capacity, which may vary depending on the type of activity requested and is subject to compliance with current safety and public entertainment regulations.